Monday, February 25, 2008

And the winners are...

Last week I said that Atonement would win Best Film at this year’s Oscars. Well at last night’s glitzy ceremony in Los Angeles, the Coen brothers’ No Country For Old Men took the coveted gong. I've never been good at making predictions! You can see a full list of all the winners here.

This blogger says he feels “cheated” by No Country For Old Men’s success…

I’ve see so many amazing movies this year, and the winning movie, “No Country for Old Men”, was just not one of them in my opinion. No offence to the Coen Brothers, who happen to make terrific movies, but the movie was just not a movie that is likeable.

It has to be said that the buzz and anticipation surrounding this year’s Oscars was law compared to previous year’s ceremonies. I’m not sure what the media coverage in the US was like, but the media coverage here was relatively low. In fact, the majority of attention given to this year’s awards centred on the long-running writers’ strike that threatened to put an end to the ceremony. I’m sure the terrible weather in Los Angeles had a big part to play in dampening everyone’s spirits as well.

No comments: